Yes or No: Is the Nissan Frontier a Good Truck?
The Nissan Frontier pickup truck has always benefited from great speed and strong performance.
But how does it hold up elsewhere?
Nissan does plan to update the Frontier to compete with the newer models from Ford and Jeep.
But the platform the model is built on ultimately won’t change.
Nissan Frontier 2019 Specifications
· Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
· 110 Amp Alternator
· Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
· Rear-Wheel Drive
· Front Anti-Roll Bar
· Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic w/OD
· Engine: 2.5L DOHC I4
· 3.692 Axle Ratio
· 550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
· Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
· Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
· Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
· Leaf Rear Suspension w/Leaf Springs
· 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
· 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs
· GVWR: 4,700 lbs
Vehicle Details (Interior)
· Fixed Antenna
· Manual Air Conditioning
· Urethane Gear Shift Knob
· Air Filtration
· Analog Display
· Delayed Accessory Power
· Rear Cupholder
· 2 12V DC Power Outlets
· Cruise control w/steering wheel controls
· Full Carpet Floor Covering
· Cloth seat trim
· Manual 1st Row Windows
· Pickup Cargo Box Lights
· Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome Interior
· Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way adjustable
· 50-50 Folding Jump Front Facing Fold-Up Cushion Rear Seat
· Passenger Seat
· Radio: AM/FM w/Auxiliary -inc: 7" color display audio, USB connection port for iPod Interface and other compatible devices, streaming audio via Bluetooth, 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear), Bluetooth hands-free phone system, Siri Eyes Free and steering wheel audio controls
· Front map lights
· Driver Foot Rest
· Illuminated Locking Glove Box
· Front Cupholder
· Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
· Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
· Day-Night Rearview Mirror
· HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
· Full Cloth Headliner
· Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Radio Data System
· Front Center Armrest
· Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer and Trip Odometer
· Fixed Rear Windows
· Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
· Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and 2nd Row Underseat Storage
· Power Locks w/Autolock Feature
· Driver Seat
Vehicle Details (Exterior)
· Black Door Handles
· Steel Spare Wheel
· Chrome Grille
· Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
· Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
· Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
· Regular Box Style
· Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
· Black Front Bumper w/Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
· Wheels w/Hub Covers
· Wheels: 15" x 6.5JJ Styled Steel
· Fixed Rear Window
· Clearcoat Paint
· Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps
· Variable Intermittent Wipers
· Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
· Reverse Opening Rear Doors
· Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
· Deep Tinted Glass
· Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
· Cargo Lamp w/High Mount Stop Light
· Tires: P235/75R15 BSW AS
Vehicle Details (Safety)
· Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
· ABS And Driveline Traction Control
· Low Tire Pressure Warning
· Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
· Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
· Airbag Occupancy Sensor
· Side Impact Beams
· Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
· Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
· Back-Up Camera
Nissan's 2019 Frontier King Cab has space for four people, while the extended version can hold five.
The front seats are wide and flat, and the cushions and upholstery featured are quite pleasant to sit on.
The King Cab’s second row seems to be designed more for children—and at a push, small adults.
If you regularly drive people around, the Crew Cab would be a better option. Still, taller passengers may not have a lot of wiggle room.
The Frontier’s seats come complete with two sets of latch car seat attachments. For the five-seater, it is attached to the anchor resting on the middle seat.
The design of the Frontier’s cabin is very simple. It is constructed with durable plastics, making it more suited to being a work truck than a luxury ride.
Although not the most elegant, the interior feels very strong and reliable.
The cargo space of the Frontier comes in at 6-foot-1. You can also opt for a shorter 5-foot bed with the Crew Cab model, and the sliding tie-down of this model also allows for easier space management.
Second-row seats can also be folded up, allowing for more space.
As the frontier has kept its same design for over a decade and a half, it doesn’t have many of the bells and whistles its rivals seem to have been updated with.
The 2019 model comes with a 7-inch touchscreen that is slightly bigger than the ones used in previous models.
High-level trims also include power locking and windows, plus a keyless entry system.
Optional features include a 10 speaker stereo and dual-zone climate control. Both the touchscreen and the physical buttons of the Frontier are easy to use.
Choosing a Nissan Frontier begins with determining which of the two cabs you like, a cargo bed and your preferred powertrain.
All Frontiers benefit from a four-door specification, with a selection of the King Cab or Crew Cab. The King Cab model can be selected with either a four-cylinder or V6 engine, and both of them the 6-foot-1 cargo bed.
Crew cabs all come with a V6 and a selection of 5-foot or 6-foot-1 bed.
Buyers can also opt for rear or four-wheel-drive and either six or five-speed manual transmission. Alternatively, buyers can go for a seven-speed automatic gearbox.
So How Does The Nissan Frontier Weigh Up?
One of the Nissan Frontier’s biggest strengths is its price point. You can buy a new 2019 Frontier for just under $19,000, making it the cheapest pick up on the market currently.
For that price alone, you can get a touchscreen, rearview camera, and Bluetooth as standard features.
Depending on what you need from your new Frontier, you can pick specifications to suit accordingly. For those looking for the best all-round experience, the Frontier Pro-4X is a great all-rounder.
For those looking for a little more muscle, the V6 provides plenty of torque and can go toe-to-toe with many of its rivals off-road.
Nissan's ethos of keeping the Frontier much the same for all these years means it is a no-nonsense option.
This lack of changes also means that the price point has been able to stay the way it has.
Despite some of its caveats, the Frontier gets the job done with its comfortable ride, powerful engine, off-road ability and of course, the fantastic price point.
Those not needing any bells and whistles can find a great option in the straightforward approach of the Nissan Frontier.
At Antelope Valley Nissan, we are still rooting for family-owned businesses. We have worked hard for over 30 years to make sure customers are satisfied and trust in our guidance.
Nissan is committed to quality - and so are we.